Login  |  客戶登錄

Asian Consultants International

Search ACI's Website

Teacher's FAQ



You need to pay tax from your earnings in Taiwan, just as working anywhere else in the world.

The tax year in Taiwan runs from January to December. For the first six months (183 days) that you are in Taiwan, you will need to pay 18% tax on your earnings. This period of time is determined by the entry/exit stamps in your passport, and not your employment contract. You then file for tax returns before May 31st of the following year. However, if you arrive after July 31st, you will not be in this bracket. You will therefore still need to pay the 18% tax, but will not be able to file for tax returns on it. If you arrive before the July 31st cutoff date and are present in Taiwan for longer than 183 days in that tax year (for example, if your arrival date was in March), then you can claim a partial refund on the taxes paid in the following year. Be careful as any time spent out of the country (visa runs, holidays, etc.) will not count toward this 183-day period.

Starting 2012, certified teachers are no longer exempt from income tax, so their income is also subject to the same tax rate. 

For those who are leaving before their tax refunds arrive: You can assign a local as your proxy to accept this on your behalf. Please check with your local tax office for the form you need to complete to do so.

For many areas in Taiwan, such as Taipei, tax can be filed online. Check here for further info.





Can I work with a student visa?

You are not supposed to work on a student visa! However, if you have been studying for more than 2 semesters with good grades and hold a student ARC, then you are eligible to a work permit issued by the Counsel of Labor Affairs. In this case, then, you are allowed to work up to 16 hrs/week.

For more information see here: http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=622&ctNode=3008&mp=1


Can I bring my pet to Taiwan?

Taiwan is in general a very pet-friendly place, although larger animals will face tougher times in crowded cities as there is not much land for them to roam around.

The regulations for bringing your beloved bestie to Taiwan can be found on the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine Council website.

Click here to see the rules.

Basically, though, it's pretty tough for any pets to have to fly all the way here (and costly), and then put into a 21-day quarantine. So, something for you to really think about.


I'm not sure about Taiwan. What are some good forums that I can visit? 

Sure! Check out these two very good, and very unbiased forums:

1. Dave's ESL Cafe, the go-to authority on all things ESL:

2. Forumosa, the unofficial foreigner's guide to Taiwan:



I saw your website and would appreciate if you could give me some advice...
- What is the main difference in teaching in a public or private school in Taiwan?
- When do the school terms generally begin?  When is it best to apply?
- Will the accommodation be provided?  
- How many holidays are given in public and private schools?
- What does the salary range from?
- Is there a great demand for TEFL teachers at the moment?
- Is there a large expat community in Taiwan?


1. You would need to be a licensed teacher in order to teach at public school
2. School year starts beginning of September, which means you need to arrive mid- to late- August
3. Usually no, but it depends on the school
4. It depends on the school. Typically schools in small towns will provide some sort of subsidy
5. 45000-70000NT/month
6. YES! Especially female teachers
7. I am not sure what is "large" to you. Please explain what you would consider large. There are foreigners in Taiwan scattered throughout the island, but if you are wondering if this place is multicultural like London, then the answer is no.

We hope this answers your questions!